Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Rain, Leaves, and Blogs

We have not had any rain to speak of, for months; then when the leaves were finally off most of the trees, it has been drizzling for days.  Our Ward (High Priest Quorum) had a leaf raking project planned, so we went ahead with it anyways.

From Left:  Sol Fordham, Ward Mission Leader
Cory Danner, Elders Quorum President
Nice of them to come to support the aging High Priests.

The technique is to rake the leaves into piles and then
push them onto large tarps and take them to the road.
The City crews come by and suction them up.





Dave Duncan and John Bates, quorum friends in the ward.
Twelve men came ready to help.  They barely finished
in the two hours they had until dark.

Doug with Rex Boland, the High Priest Group Leader
We are at Sister Nell's house.  She is the sister who at 79, walks 3 miles a day and cares for her coy pond and large lot by herself.  She battled cancer three years ago and just last week had a tumor removed from her foot.  It is killing her to be laid up.  She would not have let these leaves accumulate in normal circumstances.

It is her son-in-law going through cancer treatments now, and she usually drives them up to Macon.  Her daughter has had a stroke, and isn't able to function as well as she once did, so relies on her mother to advocate for Glen.  Also just last week, her only brother had to have his pacemaker replaced, and she was his ride and supporting advocate.







Does that sound like enough adversity for one person who is nearly 80 years old?

She is amazingly upbeat.  She somehow gets herself to church nearly every Sunday, even though we meet at 9:00.  She comes alone as her daughter is not active and her son-in-law is not a member.

She said, "What do I do, just pay money into the quorum or something?"  I told her "No, you just smile sweetly and say thanks".

She cried.






Coordinating Blog Purposes

Sorry about the Blog kerfuffle.  We joke that we are here 6 months longer than everyone else so we have time to learn how to work together.

Maybe it is true.  I know you can appreciate Doug's exuberance and spontaneity, and most of you know my need for privacy especially when it comes to family and those things most dear to my heart - so we have a ways to go in working with unity, and agreeing to the most appropriate approach.

 The important thing may be that we continue to strive

5 comments:

Dental Associates said...

All those leaves...brings back some great memories of raking leaves with the scouts down in New Haven. So much work, especially when they are wet!
Sis. Nell sounds amazing. I always enjoy being around, and am inspired by people who have so much on their plate and yet can keep it all together without seeming overwhelmed. Something to strive toward I guess.
I have been thinking of you guys lately and how nice it is to spend Christmas in the mission field. Christmas is different out there than at home, but somehow more fulfilling and meaningful. Enjoy, and know we will be thinking of you and praying for you.

Tammy said...

Nathan was proud that he beat Janay to commenting on your post first. Haha!

Looks like they were able to get a remarkable amount of work done. And it's always nice to offer service to one who is so very thankful for it.

Oh Dad and the Blog kerfuffle! I loved the second email we got from him that morning. I could just imagine the conversation that went on between the two of you after you saw the first one. At least you can appreciate Dad's exuberance as we all do.

We love you lots.

Were you able to listen to those two places in Mahler's Das Lied that I put on my blog? I wasn't sure if it was breaking mission rules. I think Nathan was allowed to listen to classical music, but every mission has different rules. I made Nathan listen to it tonight and he agreed that it is really special music.

Janay said...

I loved seeing all those piles of leaves. How my kids would have loved to play in those big piles. I think we had maybe one or 2 piles that were about that big.

We're missing you this holiday season -- it seems weird that we aren't spending time at your house this year. Love you.

mj said...

HI Mama. I sent you and Dad some Holiday packages so hopefully you see them coming your way soon.

I feel much like that 80 year old lady in that I have been given so much by those around me and I feel like I need to pay people back...Maybe I'll take your advice and just "settly smile and say thanks."

Unknown said...

We are way behind the game. We are just getting to Christmas cards and things like that. I fear we may not even get our outside lights up at all. Living in the "now" is supposed to be so sought after, but in my world it leads to late Holiday cards. Sorry. I'm grateful to read your blog everyweek. I'm thinking of you both! (and the rest of my family...) This is my first Holiday season being in charge. Like Christmas Eve/ Day dinners (or not) all about me. I love you.