Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Latest Best Read

Many years ago, as an eighteen year old freshman at USU, my father gave me Jesus The Christ  by James E Talmage.  I have read parts of it over the years, but had never even tried to sit down and read it all the way through.  (793 tightly packed pages)  What a shame that I waited so long.  It is a wonderful book.  It was like a historical novel filled with the spirit.

I marveled again at the great gift of writing and testimony that filled the pages.  And then there were the explanations.  Talmage must have been a very gifted man to put together all the research and from so much information, choose that part that makes the incidents in the life of the Savior come alive like he does.  Maybe the right word might be "inspired" plus brilliant.  (President of U of U,  Apostle from 1911 to 1933)

Doug and I had just finished reading the New Testament together, but it was enlightening to do it again with Talmage's explanation of the Jewish and Roman customs, the Pharisees, Saducees, Herodians, etc. and the prophesies from the Old Testament and Book of Mormon Prophets.

I enjoyed reading it so much that I looked for the book every day when we had any down time.  I wished I had brought my own copy to read so I could remember my father's wisdom in the inscription, and his desires for what I might learn as I read.


Reflections  


1.  I know with even more assurance that Jesus is the Christ, the foretold Redeemer who would come to die that we might live; to atone for our sins; to establish his Church, showing us by his life and teachings how we can find happiness.




2. I know that Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ are aware of each of us.  They know what we need.  They know our weaknesses and our strengths.  They want us to repent continually, change our lives as necessary, and put ourselves in their hands to learn how to return to be with them once more.
3.  I know that our Father had unfathomable love for us to send his son knowing what would happen to him.  The Savior, our brother, also.  He wants us to take advantage of his sacrifice so He won't have suffered in vain.  All that is unfair about life can be made right through the atonement.

We will never be alone, as He will walk with us, and the Holy Ghost will comfort us and strengthen us through our most difficult challenges if we are trying to follow the Gospel path.



4.  Jesus has the power to keep all His promises.  He invites us to witness our love for Him by making and keeping covenants with Him.

Our desire must be lasting.  We have the opportunity to commit to do whatever He asks of us for the rest of our lives.  What a blessing!  There is no going back to the nets or forsaking the journey, if we are intent on winning the prize.

3 comments:

Janay said...

I loved reading your beautiful testimony. I must admit that I have never read "Jesus the Christ". Maybe I should undertake that endeavor -- I have plenty of time with Jon traveling.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

If you're a book-on-tape type of reader, Apple Store has a FREE PodCast of this Book. It will read it to you whild you do dishes -walk outside, etc. I love it!

ps. Jay -I'd think you had MUCH MUCH less time to do anything without Jon there to help. ;)