Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Blessings from Grandparents

Briant Williams Stringam,  and Ruby Larrain Anderson, my parents - your Grandparents were married 76 years ago today on July 22, 1937 in the Cardston Alberta Temple.

Wedding Picture



 I have been thinking of them all day - wondering if they too are on a mission there in the Spirit World, doing some of the same things that we are trying to learn and do here.

Mother's family was not well off, even though they had plenty to eat because of their gardens and animals, and stylish things to wear, because my grandmother was an excellent seamstress.  Aunt Lula's husband had died with pnuemonia when they had come home from Utah for Christmas, so she stayed with her baby, LaVard Snow, in Cardston and ran a large hair dressing salon on main street.   She is the one that helped Mom put together a trouseau, and wedding wardrobe.  Dad's brother, Alonzo who married Mom's sister Mary, loaned them a car for their honeymoon to Salt Lake and California - quite a trip in that day!

They were a handsome, popular couple.  I wish I had some pictures with me so you could judge for yourself.  (Oh, thanks to Sarah Williams, and Tamara - here are  a few.  They just sent them, so I added them for you to enjoy.)


I always thought my Mother was beautiful, and multi-talented - not in the way of music or art, but in teaching and sharing and caring and giving and helping.  She could be depended on always, by others as well as family.  Nothing was too much work in a calling, or in extending an arm of friendship, or support to an ailing Sister.  She was a great leader in her unassuming way - much as your Aunt Mary Jane Lamoreaux is today.  Friends were always welcome in our home, and extended family meals and occasions were regular events in our lives.  We spent many hours at the end of her bed chattering about a date, or in the basement playroom sewing and talking.



My Dad was always busy in community and church leadership as far back as I can remember.  People in the community looked up to him and sought his advice in both spiritual and legal matters.  Often the two overlapped I noticed.  Being his own boss, he took time for church whenever it was needed - often working late at night to catch up on demanding matters at the law office.  He was never too busy to help us with talks for church, school assignments, homework, and he always drove us to Early Morning Seminary.  I thought I had the best family in Southern Alberta.

I made this dress without any fittings to surprise Mom.  It was a navy boucle
that I thought was wonderful as a youngster.  She wore it all the time.
I thought it was just to please me, until I saw that she had chosen it for this picture.


My special Mom accompanied Dad to the Cleveland, Ohio Mission.  He was the Branch President in a little branch in the inner city, for the duration of their mission, and she helped strengthen the leadership in the various organizations.  They were gone when Tamara was born in 1981.  Aunt Lula, Mom's sister came when she was blessed, and tried to be there in Mom's place for important events.

Upon returning home from their mission, it became evident that Mom had Alzheimers.  We wondered that we had not been aware of it before they left.  How I missed her.  I had saved up all my child raising - teenage survival woes until she came back but I didn't have a chance to benefit from her wisdom in that regard.  I felt like I had lost my Mom - like my "real Mother" never came home.  I think I grieved for her then as much as when she actually passed away.

Well, I hadn't meant to write all this - I wanted mostly to pay tribute to my wonderful parents whose marriage made it possible for me to benefit from a special childhood of love and security, with sisters who are each very special to me.  I don't appreciate enough the great blessing it is to have that kind of heritage, and hope it isn't too late to pass more of it on to you.

6 comments:

Janay said...

I loved reading about Grandma, and about you and your sisters "chattering" with her. Just those few comments helped me know her a little more.

I love you 2 -- we pray for you often. Keep up the hard work.

Unknown said...

Loved your sharing this week. I have thought about them too. Sarah

mj said...

Mama! I just had a little cry reading this. I love you and I can tell you had a happy and healthy relationship with your sissies and mama because I do with you and my sissies. Love you.

Tammy said...

Thank you for this post mom! I love thinking of Grandma and Grandpa Stringam and your well-respected family. It's a special heritage.
Love you and miss you.

Janay said...

I love all the added pictures!

Becky said...

I loved this post and all of the pictures. Such a special place in my heart for Grandpa. I wish I had known Grandma more. You really have always let us feel what a great heritage we have!! So greatful. Love you.