Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Thursday, August 22, 2013

GA Macon Mission Conference Friday August 17, 2013

We travelled to Columbus, GA about two and a half hours away for a full Mission Conference.  Others came further, as we have parts of four missions coming together.  It was a great experience for us all to be gathered for the first and perhaps only time.  There was an incredible feeling of unity and enthusiasm to have this opportunity to see each other and share a common bond of spirit and learning together.

Elder Neil L Anderson was our special guest.  He was scheduled to attend the Columbus Stake Conference that weekend, and at last minute added us to his itinerary.  He had been in some sort of surgery on the Monday; then in response to a blessing, he had recovered so quickly, that he was looking for a way to show his appreciation, and we are so grateful that we could be part of it all.  He told of having the first meeting with the General Authorities after their July break on Thursday, then he flew out, drove down to Columbus and had non-stop meetings all weekend.  It makes us feel like we have time to do many more things than we do.

We have been waiting for them to post the picture so we could include it here, but I guess we'll have to add it when it comes.



Agave franzosinni
(part of the asparagus family)

Look carefully at this picture.  It is Doug's latest side interest.  See how the bottom part of the plant looks sort of like a palm, it's lower branches spread out 8 ft or more and grow up to 6 ft high.  Mostly, it is low and bush-like.  At a certain point in it's life cycle (approximately 40 plus years), it begins to shoot up the tall stems.  They grow really fast (like 3 ft per week ); then send out blossoms.  After that, the plant dies.  It does put out several baby shoots as it dies.  So you can start your wait all over.

Doug was worried all day the last week we were in Dublin, that we would not get over to their street to get this picture while they were still alive.  After all we had been gone for two weeks. (I have since learned that the blossoms sometimes last up to two months. DJC)  I tried to assure him that an extra half hour would probably not make that much difference.  It was almost evening when we took this, thus the shadows on the base plants - my fault entirely.  We are not sure if the tops have blossomed or are about to.  Don't worry, I'm certain we will be checking on the trees for the next few weeks so can let you know.  (I'm sure you will all be waiting with baited breath.)


Apartment Inspections

We have been doing apartment inspections this week to help the Elder and Sister over housing.  We have a locally called Stake missionary couple that usually handles them, but because of the influx of new missionaries, the distance was becoming too much for them.  We will be checking with the Elders and Sisters in Dublin, Milledgeville, Grey and Forsyth - 5 companionships/ apartments.

There is a wide swath of cleaning awareness, we now realize, so we can see why they have us look in every once in awhile, so things don't get too far out of hand.  Even though we gave them plenty of notice, we saw everything from "spotless" to  "really Elders, you cleaned this?"  Down here, it is important that they disinfect to get rid of the mold that comes so quickly.  So part of the cleanliness requirement is really concern for health.  It was great though to see all the young Elders and Sisters and the various types of apartments where they are housed.  It gave us an opportunity to talk briefly about their homes and family - something we never do - so we feel like we know them a little better.

One thing I was surprised about was that none of them has even a soft seat to plunk down on.  Did you have a soft chair in your missionary apartments?  I have joked that we really are too busy to ever just sit, but it seems like it wouldn't hurt to have a minute or two to unwind at the end of the day, on something comfortable.  I am going to bring it up next time I see the housing people - like tomorrow at Zone meeting.  I'm sure they are just trying to use tithing funds effectively, but personally I would be glad to have my tithing used to provide a little respite.  These missionaries work very hard!

7 comments:

Jon said...

That is really exciting that Elder Anderson came to your mission conference. Our Apostles are pretty amazing and it can really energize a mission. Although, I hear you two haven't been feeling well so way to go making it out anyways. Hope you can now take it easy until you can recover.

Miss you but are proud of the most important work you are involved in. Thanks for being a great example to all of us.

Janay said...

I loved reading about the no soft chairs -- shocking! It made me laugh right out loud. I can't believe Jon commented before me. I am so behind the times.

Janay said...

Also, I too was amazed by those weird asparagus trees. I would probably be like Dad and feel like we needed to get there right that second.

Becky said...

I had to look the Agave plant. wondered if they were the plant that agave the sweetener came from. I could find no evidence that they were. But I love that you are so interested in them Dad!!

rsnarr said...

those elders and sisters are blessed to have you inspecting their apartments. Especially if you're able to get something soft for them to sit on. We had beds and that was about it, but I felt fortunate to at least have something soft to sleep on.

mj said...

Mama. I love you worrying about those missionaries. They're so lucky to have you out there looking out for them.

Dental Associates said...

We did have soft chairs in most mission apartments until there was an outbreak of bed bugs & crotch crabs. That is right, bed bugs and crotch crabs! Most of the soft items came as curbside donations the elders just brought them home with the little bugs inside. After that we got rid of all the soft chairs in one massive purging. It was quite comical as long as you weren't one of the missionaries affected!