Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Out of Commission

Elder Castleton Sick!

He has run a high fever, and has been shaky and weak.  It is always surprising to me to see how quickly these bouts come on.  One day he is fine, and the next night, he is spiking a fever, and needing medicine and rest.  This time, we got in to a clinic, and were sent to the local hospital for x-rays.  They showed he had pneumonia in both lungs, so . . . he has been given mega medicine and was told to behave himself and head to emergency if things didn't seem right this weekend.  I think he seems much better, but am encouraging him to stay in, as the Doctor said he should not be out visiting in this cold weather (73 degrees) Ha!, especially where anyone was sick.  I have kept a few appointments myself with some of the widow ladies we visit, but we have needed to cancel some "hard to get" meetings, so we have been sad about that.

So - what do I write on the post - when we have not left our apartment for what seems like days . . . oh wait - it has been days!

I can always find things to do as long as there is a book and something I need/ want to study, so I have been busy and happy.

I have had time to clean the apartment really well.  I always feel a need to do that before we go into the Young Sisters and Elders' places.  I can't ask them to clean up the mold in their tubs, and shower curtains unless I have already seen to it here.  I haven't dared to make any teaching appointments until we see how Doug feels, but I figure he can go for a car ride with me, and I can do the apartment checks the first part of the week.



We have made cookies to take to the young Elders and sisters and other places we visit with children.  Doug gets them started when he can't stand to be down any longer, and I usually finish them when he needs a nap.  Today he made Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip.  They are really yummy - unfortunately for me.  I eat too many!

Elder Castleton to the Rescue




Note:  Elder Castleton gets ready each day as if he is going to appointments.  By the time he showers and gets dressed,  he has lost all his enthusiasm, and needs to go back to bed.


These cute little lizards get between the window and the screen.  I would just leave them, and hope they find their way out.  Doug spent 45 minutes one day trying to help this little guy.  We weren't willing to chance letting go of his tail so you could see it, in case he disappeared somewhere in the house, but I thought the grandchildren might like to see a bit of our Georgia lizard.

Surprise for our Daughters!

We took this to show you that after many years of gnawing at my nails, I have finally grown them out.  It took two months they were so short.  One of our nursing home friends told me I should quit biting them.  I decided it was about time I did that.  The funny thing about this picture is that it makes my hands look so old and wrinkly.  I wasn't aware that they looked like that.  I'm sure it must be the way I am stretching them out.



Book of Mormon Reading
Last, we should report that we have just finished our 5th reading - this time with the Georgia, Macon Missionaries.  This time, we were to pick a subject and underline only things that pertained to that, as we read.  I chose to read about the heart as in meek and lowly of heart, and having a contrite heart.  It was one of the things mentioned in my patriarchal blessing from D&C Section 64, where it says that the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

So much of our happiness truly depends on our willingness to offer up our hearts to God, and submit to the things he has asked us to do.  Throughout the Book of Mormon, there are so many examples of those that harden their hearts to the word of God, and because of their pride, seek for the material things of the world above the spiritual blessings He is waiting to give.  I especially like Helaman 3:35 which talks of the purifying and sanctification of  hearts.


Elder Castleton decided to mark all the references to Christ or words spoken by him.  It is easy to see a visual of the truth that this book is actually another witness of Christ.  As it says in 2 Ne 25:26 - we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophesies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.

 So many people outside the church think that we don't even believe in Christ, but as they flip through this copy, there can be no doubt.  We have had some remarkable discussions with the people we visit regarding these words of Christ given to the people here in the Americas, just as he spoke to those who lived around Jerusalem as recorded in the Bible.  Each time we read, I am more convinced of the truthfulness and power of this book.  The things written so many years ago by those ancient prophets are all meant for us today.  Each reading, there are things that jump out to me that I had never noticed before, that help me to understand better the mission of Jesus Christ and his plan for us.  May it be so for each of you.  We love you so!


8 comments:

Janay said...

I'm sad that Dad was sick. Hopefully he'll start to feel better soon. Rachel was wishing that she had all those delicious cookies to eat.

Sky couldn't believe the little lizard that was at your house.

Hallie is proud of you for not biting your nails. That is something she has been working on as well.

We love you and hope that all is going well. We'll talk to you soon with the holidays coming up.

Jamie Capsolas's said...

Hey Kathryn...
Love your blog!!!! Until recently I had no idea you had a blog, sorry!!!
I am very sorry to hear Doug is fighting another bout with pneumonia, oye what a pain. I'm sure he will be up and at em in no time.
The cookies look amazing and how could you resist eating them. If it as my house they may not have made ut the door for others to enjoy!!!
I did not know you bit your nails, I too suffer the same ailment HA!!! I have not hit rock bottom yet so I imagine I will continue chewing on them, drives Sarah crazy, even Mada yells at me.

Anyways now that I am aware I will be visiting your blog more often.

We think bout yo two often and miss you very much.

Take care of each other.

Love,
Jamie

Sarah Williams said...

Sorry to hear that Doug is sick. Interesting that we were talking about a broken heart and contrite spirit, yesterday. Some in our temple prep discussion group asked what those terms actually meant, how you would identify or know when those conditions were present, and how or why would that increase our ability to be open to spiritual truths and other spiritual learning. I had a great trip to Israel, really a personal learning journey. Hope Doug improves soon.
Sarah

Unknown said...

Dad suggested that I use my computer to view the blog so that I can leave comments... My phone sometimes doesn't type or won't post... anyways. I'm so impressed at all your getting done -even in your down time. The kids loved their church mags. Mom & Dad! I'm so proud of you two. I brag about you ALL the time!

Jon said...

Looks like I now know who to blame for Janay's bad habit of biting her nails. I gave Janay a hard time about this for years and she also was able to finally quit biting. As Janay mentioned she passed it along to Hallie who is also trying to quit. This begs the question - what is it with Castleton girls and nail biting? Perhaps their nails taste better than everybody else's? Too bad I'm in Seattle right now or I could do a taste test and get to the bottom of this. :)

mj said...

HA ha. I'm loving the comments! We are also making cookies tonight and as I was reading about your beautiful nails I accidntally burnt my last batch... I should send them down to Georgia as I know that's how you two like them.

I'm sorry to hear about Dadda. I hope he feels better soon. Seems like a good time to get caught up on things, read, and do some baking.:)

We love you so much and think of you often. I like your specific scripture reading. What a good idea.

mj said...

PS: That lizard caught me off guard!

PPS: Also the nails!! Mom we have the exact same hands. Especially now that your nails are painted. It's so interesting to me that I could inherit an exact replica of your hands:) I must be related to you after all.

Tammy said...

Loved this post, mama. And i love reading everyone's comments! Miss you.