Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Georgia Thanksgiving

GA Is Cold This Year!!

I sent all my thick sweaters home last spring, as I never wore them at all last year, but it has been chilly this fall.  Last year, everyone put their crowds of Thanksgiving friends outside to eat.  This year, everyone crowded into the homes.

We had Thanksgiving here.


We turned down the wonderful invitation to join the huge Webb family, which includes many of the black portion of our ward, because we thought we should prepare dinner for those that might not have a place to go.


Earlier on, we invited Bill - our closest neighbor, about 5 blocks away.  He is kind of like a homeless person except he has a home with a bed, a chair and a dilapidated couch.  He is a veteran who was hurt in a car accident a few years ago, so he can't work much.  He cashiers at a service station on the weekend, to give him enough money to eat.  He mostly frequents McDonalds. He walks everywhere. He is very gregarious, and shares what he has with the truly homeless.  He is a church member, though we have yet to see him come.  We would gladly pick him up, but so far he hasn't found work that will give him time off on Sunday.  He is an interesting person with knowledge about lots of things.  He is very chattery and friendly.


The Greenes

Finally we thought to invite Kathy Jo and her family.  We were surprised they did not have a place to go for Thanksgiving  They were so grateful to be invited; it seems they didn't have much food left at the end of their month.  When I went to pick them up, KeAysha had a friend there, so we added another plate, and included him.



We had our usual spread, which doesn't even compare to the southern feasts with 7 kinds of meat, many vegetable side dishes, beans, macaroni and all sorts of desserts.  We knew the teens didn't especially like tossed salad, but we were not prepared for them totally boycotting almost everything.  They didn't eat tossed or fruit salad; sweet potatoes, dressing, pickles, vegetables, or gravy.  That only left meat, rolls, and mashed potatoes - dry!  We thought - oh well, take it or leave it.  We only made pies for dessert - 3 kinds, mind you.  They would not even try them.  Wouldn't you think they would just take a little piece?

from left:  Deon, friend; KeAysha 15; MeKayla  9; Caleb 7; Kathy Jo

It all turned out well in the end.  We had a very nice afternoon, and decided we had a lot more to learn about the black culture.


The Durtschis

Friday, we were invited to a 2nd Thanksgiving dinner in the home of a member who has an investigating friend boarding with them.  The couple is in the process of moving, so they decided to have the meal at their new home.  We thought it would be like our special Thanksgiving that first fall in our cozy, warm, Hyde Park home - wrong!

It was very cold this week, and their heat would not work, so the turkey wouldn't thaw.  They had to buy another one at last minute, so it would get done in time.  Only one burner on the stove worked.  Try fixing Thanksgiving dinner with only one burner!  They also had to rip out all the carpets the day before due to the previous owner's dogs, but they had set up a plywood table on boxes, and we feasted there on the under flooring.

Our new Elders came with us, and were meeting this family for the first time.  Miraculously, it all worked out.  I should have taken some pictures.  The Sister is the Seminary teacher for our ward, and she is a very spiritual lady.  Her husband teaches technology for the business department at GA College.  Robin, the investigator, does some kind of top secret research for the government, from home.  She had made an interesting banana/ sweet potato suffle.   We couldn't even help them clean up, as the Elders had asked us to accompany them to meet with Sister Hooda (our E Indian friend), for the first time.  We have had some interesting visits - no matter the conditions in the home, the people are warm and gracious, and we feel very close to them and will always cherish their friendship.

Thanks to all of you who checked in and sent texts and pictures of post Thanksgiving activities - getting ready for Christmas, etc.  It is fun for us to share these special occasions.  Technology has some amazing applications.  We thought of you all -  the Canadians too, even though we know you celebrated long ago.  We are grateful for each of you, and what you have added to our lives.  May you all enjoy the special feelings of this Christmas Season.  I for one, have never been more grateful for the Savior - his birth and mission; his atonement and resurrection, and the scriptures that testify of Him.

We love you dearly, and hope you are finding time to ponder this miraculous gift as your busy season unfolds.




5 comments:

Janay said...

It sounds like your Thanksgiving('s) turned out beautifully despite a few bumps along the way. We had all the Hansen's over to our house on Thursday. It was so fun to have everyone together for Thanksgiving -- this was our first time ever. I think things went pretty well for our first time preparing a huge meal.

Love you and miss you.

Jon said...

Wow - you guys are way too sweet. If my family (who I helped cook Thanksgiving dinner for) didn't eat my food I would not have been so calm. I'm sure I would have made a big deal about it, yelled and screamed, and then made them walk home repeating 100 times "I love Jon's food and I'll never get it again". Maybe I should serve a mission again and I can become more Christlike.

Either way - those guys are crazy. I've been missing your's and Doug's home cookin' since the day you left. Janay and I discussed several times this week about how we could make oue Thanksgiving dinner taste more like your's/Doug's. Lots of good times...I'm feeling hungry now :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you both and welcome to December (the happiest month of the year).

Sarah Williams's said...

Good to know Doug is getting back on his feet! Thinking of you.

Tammy said...

Hooray! I'm taking a minute to get the blog update. We missed you so much at Thanksgiving! Those rolls and pies look delightful. And it's so thoughtful of you to host a few people who wouldn't have a place to go otherwise. I liked reading about your neighbor, Bill. I chuckled out loud at, "He is kind of like a homeless person except he has a home with a bed, chair and dilapidated couch." He sounds like quite a character.

I hope you had a sweater with you at the second Thanksgiving dinner you had on Friday. No heat!
We love you.

Becky said...

Sounds like our house. Where we make a big meal and the kids hardly touch any of it. Ha ha ha. I am always so impressed seeing you and dad using your talents and blessing those around you. Happy holidays!!!