Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

To Be Trusted!

Zone Meeting

Great meeting!  As usual, we were the only Senior missionaries other than the in and out of the office staff.  Our Mission President talked mostly about the Trust Box.  We thought it applied to lots of life's situations- not just missions.  He reminded us that trust takes a long time to build up, but it can be shattered in a moment.

Some think commandments are restrictive, instead of being enabling- the source of so many blessings.  He said that some like to live at the edge of the box, sticking out a foot at times, thinking you can live in both worlds.  It doesn't work!  Falling off the edge is no fun!  (He gave an example where he had fallen off the edge of a roof, and had broken his hip.) We could think of more serious spiritual examples.  He promised us that we will all be safer and happier when we stay as close to the middle of the box as we can.

He was also reminding all of us that there are areas that we can improve - in obedience and dedication.  We can all be more diligent in our callings, our personal prayers, our family responsibilities, wise use of our time, our service to others, our unselfishness, our kindness, and so forth.

The Gray ward fed us a wonderful Chili and Corn chip lunch, and we were ready for afternoon sessions.  President Cottle spoke of the great blessing it is for all of us to be able to go to the temple and partake of those blessings, and also of the responsibility that brings in the way of modest actions and dress, and living up to the covenants we have made.  We all left the Conference full of resolve to do and be better.  That's what these conferences are for I believe.

We love our office, and spend most of our
home time there
One of our weekly goals was to dig out all our missionary teaching materials and organize them for easier use.

This little media stand ($29 at Walmart), was perfect for what we needed.  All our videos, pamphlets, Book of Mormons fit perfectly with the large space on the bottom just the right size for binders to hold missionary records, manuals Etc.

We wish we had done it earlier, but we will enjoy it for the next months, and whoever takes our place, will have the shelving from the start.












District Meeting

Our District Leader has worked really hard to prepare meetings that would meet our learning needs and motivate us to continue striving.

Elder Cawley (California)
 District Leader November - February 2014
 This week, he had us all re-read Alma Chapter 5.  It is a long chapter, but well worth the time, especially if you take time to take a little self quiz whenever Alma asks a question.  It has been meaningful to us even after many readings.  We read and discussed it all the way to Dublin today.  What a masterful, heartfelt sermon!  One can really feel the great love and yearning our leaders have for us to repent, participate in the Priesthood, receive our covenants, prepare ourselves for the temple and live to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven.

I love the part where Alma asks, "Have ye been spiritually born of God;  experienced this mighty change in your hearts; and received His image in your countenances?

What about the part that assures us that "He sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them and he saith:  Repent, and I will receive you.

The last verse of the chapter says  "I speak by way of command unto you that belong to the church; and unto those who do not belong to the church, I speak by way of invitation, saying:  Come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye also may be partakers of the fruit of the tree of life.

Perhaps my favorite section is from verses 43 - 49 where he explains that "I speak in the energy of my soul; for behold, I have spoken unto you plainly that ye cannot err, or have spoken the commandments of God."  He testifies that he has been commanded to testify of the truth and explains how he had come to know for himself that what he was now teaching was the truth - by the Holy Spirit of God through fasting and prayer - the same way we all must do it.

Enough of that!  Just know that I have come to love the Book of Mormon so much, and can feel the truthfulness in every page as I read.  It anchors me in difficult times.  It answers my questions about life.  It helps me feel the Savior's love for me and for all mankind.  It lets me know that I must follow the words of the prophet, as they will guide me today as they have others in past generations.  It gives me the courage to continue to strive to improve each day.  I am so grateful!


Pre-transfer photos

We think we will have some changes in our District this time, as we were left in-tact six weeks ago.

Elder Heiner was still fussing with all the cameras so missed the picture.
We had lunch at the church following our meeting and hurried home to meet our appointments.  One changed to evening and then rescheduled for next week.

At another, we were met at the door with a message that this was not a good time.  Before we could figure it all out, the fiancee came out pounding his bible and wanting to "discuss" our differences.  Kathy felt so badly that he was "disrespecting" us, her good friends.  He was obviously inebriated, so we retreated in hopes of a more opportune time, hoping she and the kids would be safe.

Sister Weycott and Elder Evans.
Do you think this tie qualifies as a missionary tie?
It does speak of his home in Hawaii!



Sister Hathaway (Utah); Sister Weycott (Idaho)
They are our Sister leaders in the Zone, and are very good missionaries.
We love their giggles! We are expecting a large contingent of sisters this transfer.
 For the first time, we will have more Sisters than Elders coming this transfer.

From Left:  Sister Castleton; Sister Hathaway (UT); Sister Weycott ( ID)
Elder Evans (Hawaii); Elder Cawley (CA); Elder Heiner (AZ); Elder Schlaich (UT)


Ice Storm Warnings

Today we are in the midst of the ice storm forecast, with emergency warnings, and are trying to stay close to home, and off the roads, in the interest of safety.  Our warning says it has the potential to be a "catastrophic event" - whatever that is.  It says further that significant amounts of ice will make travel dangerous or impossible. What a strange Georgia winter!

So far, we haven't seen the ice, but this has been a good thing for Doug, as he otherwise would not have taken a nap, that he still really needs post- illness.  They have cancelled our Missionary Committee Meeting tonight as well, so this is about as winter stormish as it can get down here.

4 comments:

Janay said...

I have loved reading your testimony of the Book of Mormon. As I read, I recognize in myself a deep love and appreciation for that special book.

I'm glad the storm warnings are keeping you close to home and that Dad is getting his nap. If only I could come up with a similar excuse to take naps during the days. I tell you what, little kids don't know how good they have it with those enforced naptimes.

Love you both and am loving reading about all that you're doing. Keep up the hard work.

Jon said...

I've been hearing about your Atlanta weather this past week - sounds pretty crazy. I was in Atlanta for one night last week but the weather was really calm that day fortunately.

Thanks for sharing the blog and your thoughts. I'm glad you guys are brave enough to get out there and try to help people. You both are so sweet and caring - good examples to all of us.

Keep up the good work and posting on your blog so we can hear about it.

Jon said...

I've been hearing about your Atlanta weather this past week - sounds pretty crazy. I was in Atlanta for one night last week but the weather was really calm that day fortunately.

Thanks for sharing the blog and your thoughts. I'm glad you guys are brave enough to get out there and try to help people. You both are so sweet and caring - good examples to all of us.

Keep up the good work and posting on your blog so we can hear about it.

Tammy said...

What? No comments about that lovely organized shelf?!! I loved seeing all your missionary materials all set up so nicely. It makes me happy to think of you two working and planning away in that study.