Milledgeville Ward Building

The Milledgeville, GA Ward Building
Members come from Eatonton, Gordon, Sandersville, Sparta, Devereaux, and more, as well as Milledgeville. Our ward covers 5 counties: Baldwin, Wilkinson, Washington, Hancock, Putnam.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

First World Wide Women's Meeting

Saturday Pre-Conference Broadcast from SLC

For those who don't know, this was the first time that Primary girls 8 and older, YW, and Relief Society Women have ever come together for the same directions and words of inspiration.  I have always loved the Women's meeting - for the feeling of sisterhood it brings knowing that women all over the world are gathered, hearing the same message and loving and caring about each other.  It is good to be reminded that we are all unique, beloved daughters of our Heavenly Father, and as such we need to help each other find and walk on the covenant path back to his presence.  I have also been grateful to think that many of the women in our own family are in attendance somewhere, feeling that spirit that brings a special bond of unity.  I loved it that some of you texted just as you were leaving the meeting, to let us know that you felt it too.

This time, I did not have anyone to take with me - or rather the ones that were planning to come with me backed out in the last half hour, so it was too late to invite someone else.  I had mentioned in passing, to the YW,  that I usually came with at least one of my daughters.  As the broadcast progressed,  I felt this tiny 12 year old hand periodically coming from the row behind, to give me a little shoulder hug.  "I can be your daughter tonight", she whispered.  It was very sweet, especially with the message of the evening that no matter what our circumstances, where we live, our age, our needs, we can reach out and help and lift one another.  Even if there is no family near by, no matter where we visit or live, we will always have sisters we can depend on.  What a comforting feeling!

Transfers!!
Everyone sets their cameras, except for us because we don't know how.  We have to rely on the good old I Phone, which means one of us is always missing from the group photos.  Our District will stay the same for the next 6 weeks, except for Elder Cawley leaving - 2nd from the right.  The new missionary coming, Elder Kelly will be the new District Leader.  Maybe I'll wait for him to arrive before we post.

From left:  Elder Loper, Elder Wilkins, Elder Cawley, Elder Heiner
Elder Castleton

From left Sister Hathaway, Sister Bradford, Sister Castleton, Elder Wilkins
Elder Loper (in back), Elder Cawley, Elder Heiner.

Dublin Doings


This is the beautiful Dogwood tree in Corine's yard,
just across the street from the Dublin Chapel.


Sister Porter is being transferred from Dublin, so we had our last P-day dinner with these Sister missionaries and Mildred.  We thought maybe we should go somewhere special, but Mildred said that this was no time to break tradition so . . .  guess where we went!

From left:  Sister Castleton, Sister Porter,  Sister Snyder,
Mildred (who is lots of fun, but never smiles for the pictures.
 Sister Porter has been in Dublin for three transfers.  This has been her only area, so she is nervous about going somewhere else.  Mildred feels like she has been watching out for her, so she is also a bit apprehensive about the move as well.  We told her that there are many amazingly mature young sisters in our mission, who will help her along, until she becomes seasoned herself.

Usually there are just the three of us.
It has given us the opportunity to talk about
life and the Gospel in a more casual setting.
We counted fourteen deer grazing at the side of the road coming home in the dusk this week.  That is our record for our Dublin excursions.

Missionary Moments
Also, before we left for Dublin, we were having our windshield replaced, right outside our door.  Doug got talking to the installer about the church and the restoration.  The man who installed it was part Native American, and was really interested in the Book of Mormon - that Christ had visited here as well as in the Holy Land.  He wanted a Book of Mormon, and gave us his address and phone number so missionaries could visit him and his Father.  Doug apologized for extending the time on his installation.  The man said that it was Ok; he felt that he had been sent to do our installation for a special reason.  He lives in a neighboring mission.  We hope they will be good about following up and teaching him.

2 comments:

Janay said...

I'm glad there was that sweet little girl sitting behind you. We watched the broadcast at our house, and even being in a setting that was just my family, I could still feel the love and friendship that comes with being a part of the Relief Society organization. I was surprised by how much the girls (particularly Hallie) remembered when talking to Jon about it later.

I liked the story of the windshield repair guy -- you never know when an opportunity to tell others your beliefs might arise (especially when you're so friendly like you and Dad).

Tammy said...

What a thoughtful little 12-year-old! I always enjoy going to the women's broadcast, and it was especially nice to have the younger Primary girls there this time as well.
I love that Dogwood tree. A neighbor here has one, and Nathan and I always say that will be the next tree we plant. So beautiful.