Honestly, I listen to the latest version of what is expected, from the new mission President, and the kind of schedule that it requires and I feel like I'm the only one thinking "How will we ever do all that?" Everyone else is nodding their commitment like the request is nothing. I'm feeling panicky, and it always surprises me, because I think I am a positive thinker with lots of faith. I am finding that I have a ways to go.
The office Senior couple who was at the meeting, assured Doug that we really didn't have to do everything to the exact specifications outlined for the Elders, but I am not convinced, and the mission President's family looked so tired, I didn't want to hold them up another minute by asking questions after. Hopefully we will figure things out with the President later or with the other couples when we meet on Saturday.
 |
| Who knew I would ever wear out a pair of running shoes! |
New Mission President - New Guidelines - felt like we needed to begin running to keep up with everything- so . . . it was a good time to get new running/walking shoes. With no one here to give expert advice, We thought we had better stick with what we knew - Asics. The bright laces had to go right away. Every time I took a step all I could see were turquoise laces. Other than that, they seem to work well.
Senior Missionary Gathering - Atlanta
It was our Ward Temple Excursion the same day, so we thought we could do them both with one trip, but the times conflicted, so we finally decided to go up Friday night to get in a session and then stay over for our get together at the Atlanta History Center.
This is the Swan House built in the early 1900s. It was fun to tour, but was definitely not as elaborate as the mansions of Newport RI, that Tammy and Nathan took us to. They were re-doing the grounds, so we could not get around to the back to get a very good picture of the fountains and I was just using my phone camera.

We then toured a prosperous farm from the civil war days. It was interesting to see how they swept their yards and cured their meat. When the war started, salt for curing jumped from $1 to a price no one could afford even if their confederate money was still good. I can't imagine trying to survive on a farm under those conditions when all the men went to war.
Maybe because we are in the midst of an election, but this visit to civil war times, made me think of the promises in the Book of Mormon about remembering our covenants and trying to keep Heavenly Father's commandments so this land can stay free.
 |
Farm home - included a sleeping room on the porch so the itinerant clergy could stop by on his way without disturbing the family. We joked that we could have stayed there, if we had been in Georgia in 1860.
|
 |
| Supposedly represents slave shacks - I think this is much better than what they really had. |
 |
| These garden pictures are for you Rob! |
 |
Maybe we could just bring in dirt for the actual row, and we wouldn't have to dig up and fertilize the whole plot!
On Swan Woods Trail
We then spent time in the History Museum, which I loved. They have an amazing Civil War exhibit.
After, we all went to lunch at the OK Cafe - named after the cafe in To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
|
We came back home rejuvenated and ready to get back to work. I guess that means it was a successful outing.
4 comments:
Tammy and I enjoy reading your blog posts! I remember when my second mission president arrived, it was interesting to contrast the ways each of them carried on the work but the good news was both ways worked! I'm sure you'll find the same is true for you. wishing you the best.
p.s. somehow I'm logged in under my work blog, but this is really just Nathan.
The houses look amazing mom. I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I love the shoes and of course I think you should've kept the turquoise laces.
I too was a fan of the turquoise laces, but can see that they may have been distracting. I love seeing those old houses. Sounds like you had a fun day.
Post a Comment