We had a mission-wide phone call last night where everyone who is being transferred was put on alert. They don't know where they are going - they just report to the Stake Center nearest the mission home, with their belongings, where they will call out the names, and assign them to the companion and new area where they have been called. It is an amazing process especially with all the technology in use now. We couldn't help but think how much time was saved by doing this all in one short phone call, instead of individual ones as they have always done before.
| Back from Left: Elder Lynch, AZ; Elder Evans, Hawaii; Elder Castleton, Hyde Park, UT;Elder Munford, UT; Elder Dutsun, UT Front from left: Sister Mortenson, UT, Sister Castleton, UT; Sister Weycott, ID |
Some changes were not surprises as the young sisters and Elders have been in this area as long as we have. Sister Mortenson and Elder Munford are moving from Gray as we suspected, but what we did not expect, is that both our Milledgeville Elders are going. We are all a little sad, as there seems to be new activity recently and there are two people with baptism dates in Mid December. (See account below)
Ward Mission Committee
| Last Sunday in Milledgeville Elder Lynch, Sister Thelma Moore, Elder Dutson |
This is rather fuzzy - but it was the best of five that a willing bystander took. It made me feel better that I am not the only one that takes jiggly photos. This is part of our Ward Missionary Committee. We are missing Brother Huff, who is 78, a returned Senior Missionary from California, and Brother Weaks, a dynamic student- returning to college at 37. Brother Deraney next to Elder Castleton, has been the Bishop and in Bishoprics over many years commuting from Eatonton 40 min. He was released from the High Council to be the Ward Mission Leader just as we came to Milledgeville.
Sister Moore is a wonderful help in friend-shipping new members. She is seventy, though we would not dare suggest that, anywhere near her. This is the first time I have seen her in a hat like this. She usually looks very 'hip' in hairstyle and dress - sometimes wearing leather jackets. She volunteers in a local preschool, She has pulled herself up from less affluent surroundings, and serves on citizen's boards in the community. When I first met her I thought she was a professor at GA College. She loved that! We still don't know her full story, but are grateful for her efforts
When can we be Baptized?
I told one of you about seeing three new women who I had never met, at church last week. Doug was home sick and sleeping, so I was alone. I talked to them a little, thinking they were contacts of our Young Missionaries, and then took them with me to the Gospel Principles class. At the end of class, Sister Moore (in photo above) almost pushed me into the hall to talk to them. I thought she wanted to introduce them, not knowing we had already met. Instead, I soon realized that they were asking what they had to do to get baptized. One of their daughters was a member in another city so they knew somewhat about the Gospel, but it was such a surprise to have someone ask us without having to work so hard to find them. Because Doug was ill and I didn't want to put this off, I was able to take their information and give it to our Young Elders. They in turn followed up last week, and scheduled the teaching lessons to prepare them for Baptism December 14th.
Health Update
Doug is feeling much better. We were able to help with Ward Thanksgiving Box deliveries last week, which worked well, since we know where most of these members live out in the country, and it was a way we could help our ward leaders, in this busy week before the holiday. It was also about as much as he could manage, before coming home for a nap. The Dr told us Friday, that it would take a little time to get fully operational. They will do another x-ray to be sure the lungs are clear just before Christmas.

3 comments:
I'm glad Doug is making some progress. Way to go Doug!
I loved hearing about the person who showed up to church and asked when they can get baptized. That is definitely not one a missionary hears everyday. I guess when you are as prepared of missionaries as you and Doug the Lord just sends people your way.
Miss you both around this holiday coming up. We all love you guys. Happy Thanksgiving!
I liked hearing about the women who wanted to baptized. Way to be a quick thinker and get their information to the missionaries. I would have been stunned into inaction (is that even a word?).
Hooray for Dad starting to feel better!
I love you both. We are missing you, but so proud of your hard work.
Hope Dad keeps getting better. It would be nice for him to be healthy for the holidays.
I'm sure it's strange to see your district changing so much. And yes! Thank heavens for technology!!
We love you and think of you often. Especially during holidays, of course. MJ and Brian arrive today. We'll host them and a few of our friends for Thanksgiving tomorrow. (10 adults, 8 kids) Thank heavens for Nathan's cooking skills or I would be really stressed!
Post a Comment